The Mets have recalled outfielder Michael Conforto, catcher Kevin Plawecki, utility player Ty Kelly, and pitcher Gabriel Ynoa in their first wave of their September roster expansion. The Mets will have one more wave of players recalled sometime next week after the Triple-A Las Vegas season comes to a close. Continue reading
- With the recent promotion of outfielder Michael Conforto, Terry Collins has a lot of juggling to do with his daily lineup card as far as the outfield goes. Yoenis Cespedes also recently expressed a desire to strictly stay in left field the rest of the season, especially after he suffered a quadriceps injury before the break. Collins has agreed with Cespedes and told the media that he expects to primarily play Cespedes in left field to preserve his legs for the rest of the season. That leaves Michael Conforto a candidate for center field as odd as that may sound. Collins told reporters that Conforto will begin taking fly balls in center field this week, and many believe he could see playing time there when the Mets go to spacious Marlins Park this weekend. Conforto has no game experience in college nor professionally in center field but he’s young enough to hopefully adapt quickly. It may be the only way Conforto could get his bat in the lineup on a consistent basis currently.
- Matt Harvey went under the knife today in St. Louis with Dr. Robert Thompson to correct his thoracic outlet syndrome. Harvey is expected to need around six months to recover and agent Scott Boras expects the Dark Knight to be ready for the 2017 season.
The Mets made a surprising move tonight as they recalled outfielder Michael Conforto from Triple-A Las Vegas and sent outfielder Brandon Nimmo back to Las Vegas in a corresponding move.
The move is somewhat surprising as the Mets had recently stated they had no plans to bring up Conforto after the All Star break, but it seems the way Conforto has swung the bat down in Las Vegas they have changed their minds. In the 16 games Conforto has played in the minors he has hit .344 with three home runs and 15 RBI’s. He also seemed to cut down on the strikeouts as well, as he had as many strikeouts as walks with eight. The Mets also had Conforto play some right field down in AAA which means he may see some playing time there with big club.
His promotion does also come at a time when Juan Lagares is swinging a hot bat, and Yoenis Cespedes had expressed after Sunday’s game a desire to strictly play left field for the remainder of the season. It will be interesting to see how Terry Collins juggles the outfield from here on out, as he has many talented outfielders and simply not enough spots to play them all at once.
It’s sad to see Nimmo go back down to the minors after he produced a spark upon his arrival to the big leagues three weeks ago. However the 23-year old outfielder could benefit from a little more seasoning in the minors, rather sit on the bench as he currently has been. Nimmo is also expecting to mainly focus on playing center field when he heads back down to the minors. Nimmo heads back to Las Vegas with a .235 average and a home run with four RBI’s in 51 at-bats.
With the way Conforto has swung the bat in Triple-A and Nimmo hitting just .158 over his last 19 at-bats, the Mets made an executive decision to help better the ball club right now, while also hoping Conforto has regained his confidence. Conforto was expected to be a big piece to this team’s offense coming into the season, and if he comes back swinging the bat like he had been in April, it will be the equivalent of the Mets adding an impact bat at the trade deadline.
- ESPN’S Adam Rubin is reporting that the Mets will not recall outfielder Michael Conforto when second half play opens tomorrow night. Conforto who is handling the bat quite well at Triple-A Las Vegas, is hitting .340 with three home runs and 13 RBI’s since being demoted back on June 25. It isn’t unreasonable to see Conforto back up in the big leagues sometime soon if he continues to rake at the current pace he is at. Brandon Nimmo who is currently 2-12 with six strikeouts over his last five games, could be the casualty if Conforto is recalled. While I believe Alejandro De Aza should be the first outfielder to go, it makes sense to give Nimmo more playing time in Las Vegas, rather than sit on the bench.
- Travis Taijeron was named his team’s top star of last night’s Triple-A All Star Game in Charlotte North Carolina. Taijeron provided the only runs for the losing Pacific Coast League All Star Team which was managed by his Triple-A manager Wally Backman. The 27-year old outfielder went 1-4 in the starting DH spot but hit a two-run home run in the top of the second inning to open the scoring of last night’s game. Taijeron is currently hitting .308 with 13 home runs and 69 RBI’s in 84 games this season at Las Vegas.
- The Mets organization had a successful night at last night’s All Star Game’s, as Matt Oberste took home the MVP Award from the Double-A Eastern League All Star Game. The 24-year old Oberste went 4-5 with a double and 4 RBI’s in leading his All Star squad to a 10-2 victory. Oberste who plays first base and designated hitter for Double-A Binghamton, is hitting .290 with six home runs and 34 RBI’s in 74 games played this season.
- Catcher Travis d’Arnaud made his first appearance behind the plate last night on his current rehab assignment. D’Arnaud caught 7 innings last night for Port St. Lucie at Dunedin. He went 2-4 with a double, one run scored, two RBI’s and one walk. He allowed two stolen bases. D’Arnaud is hitting .273 (6-22) with four RBI and five walks in five rehab games with Port St. Lucie. He was placed on the 15-Day DL on April 26 with a right rotator cuff strain. Manager Terry Collins expects d’Arnaud to return in”7-8 days,” and he is expected to catch a full nine innings with Port St. Lucie tomorrow, before moving his rehab assignment to a higher affiliate.
- Manager Terry Collins is sitting outfielder Michael Conforto today due to wrist soreness. While the injury isn’t believed to be serious, Collins believes the day off could provide the struggling Conforto some good both physically and mentally. Collins told the media that he will put Conforto back in the starting lineup when they resume play on Tuesday.
- Second baseman Neil Walker is not in today’s lineup after leaving yesterday’s game in the third inning with a lower-back injury. Walker is taking anti-inflammatory medication in hopes that he can return to the field as soon as Tuesday, after the Mets day off tomorrow.