Final: Mets 8 – Marlins 6
The New York Mets defeated the Miami Marlins today by the final score of 8-6 at Roger Dean Stadium. For a full box score recap follow the link below…
- In Noah Syndergaard’s second start of the spring, he went 3.2 innings allowing 5 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, and 3 K’s.
- Travis d’Arnaud who started at DH, went 1-3 with a bases clearing double in the top of the 5th.
- Wilmer Flores got the start at shortstop and was 0-2 with an RBI. He drove in a run on a bases loaded walk.
- Travis Taijeron who was assigned to minor league camp today, went 2-5 with a run scored. He is still hitting at a ridiculous average of .385.
- Antonio Bastardo had another rough outing, in 0.2 innings pitched he allowed 3 ER, on 3 hits with 1 K.
- Jim Henderson had his first tough inning this spring allowing 1 ER on 3 hits, with 2 K’s in one inning of work.
- Jeurys Familia pitched another scoreless inning with 1 K and 1 HBP.
Today’s game may ultimately be remembered for the bus ride that left Tejada behind. All jokes aside, Syndergaard pitched good this afternoon as he was only burned on an RBI single by up and coming Mets killer Justin Bour. Syndergaard’s fastball was being thrown as high as 99 mph, with his slider hitting 91 MPH. No other starting pitcher in baseball in my opinion, consistently brings the power stuff that Syndergaard brings, from the 1st pitch of the game to the 120th pitch. I do not believe he is in for a major sophomore slump, as he seems to grow and get better with every start he makes. Syndergaard was also hit by a comebacker during his start but immediately waved the trainers off which was great news. Antonio Bastardo who must be experimenting with his pitches, continues to get hammered this spring. Luckily it’s still spring and none of these appearances matter, so I won’t jump on the panic train early. I just hope these numbers are something we won’t have to reflect on during the regular season.
- The Mets are off tomorrow but will head back to Jupiter on Thursday to face the Marlins again. First pitch is slated for 1:05 pm et and the game will not be televised. The game can be heard however on MLB.com.
- Jacob deGrom is expected to make the start for Thursday’s game, and the Marlins will send their ace right-hander Jose Fernandez to the mound.