The Mets defeated the Detroit Tigers at Tradition Field this afternoon by the final score of 7 to 3. A full box score recap is provided at the link below…
- Lucas Duda had a day at the plate going 2-3 with a HR and 2 RBI.
- Neil Walker (pictured) hit his first home run in a Mets uniform with a solo shot in the bottom half of the fourth.
- Asdrubal Cabrera went 1-3 this afternoon with a 2-run single in the bottom of the third.
- Yoenis Cespedes had his second RBI of the spring with his RBI single in the bottom of the third.
- Bartolo Colon pitched 3 innings allowing 4 hits on 1 ER and 2 K’s.
- Jeurys Familia pitched a perfect frame with 2 K’s.
The Mets got a lot of help today from their projected starters offensively. Lucas Duda swung the bat exceptionally well, as his lone out was also hit very hard. It was nice to see Neil Walker get his first home run in a Mets uniform this spring when he belted a shot to right field in the bottom of the 4th. Both Duda and Walker’s current batting average’s sit at .375. Bartolo Colon had a tough first inning as he allowed a leadoff triple to Anthony Gose and an RBI single shortly after to Casey McGehee. He was pitching from the stretch the rest of the inning but seemed to get it under control as the inning wore on. After laboring through the first inning Colon seemed to find his grove and pitched a solid 2 innings thereafter. Wilmer Flores made some nice plays defensively at third base this afternoon, and I believe he is comfortable enough at that position to ease everyone’s worries. Watching Jeurys Familia pitch is such a thing of beauty. He is so smooth with his mechanics and he looked untouchable this afternoon with the way he was pitching. With a better bullpen to bridge the gap this season, it would not shock me if Familia approached 50 saves.