Things to Know: Mets vs. Marlins This Weekend
The New York Mets and Miami Marlins will do battle this weekend in a critical series that has ramifications on both the NL Wild Card and the NL East Division race. Here are a few things to know ahead of this weekend’s series which begins tonight.
- The Mets trail the Marlins in the NL East standings by 1.5 games for second place and are 1.5 games behind the Marlins for the final NL Wild Card spot.
- The Mets hold a 5-4 record against the Marlins this season in nine meetings so far.
- The Mets are also 2-1 at Marlins Park this season, outscoring the Marlins 12-7.
- Friday night starter Logan Verrett is 0-0 with a 0.69 ERA in three career games (two starts) against Miami, with 10 strikeouts in 13 innings. All three appearances however occurred at Citi Field.
- Saturday night starter Jacob deGrom holds a career 1.89 ERA at Marlins Park in 19 innings pitched. It’s his lowest ERA at any visiting ballpark with a minimum of three starts.
- Yoenis Cespedes holds a .367 average with two home runs and nine RBI’s in 11 games at Marlins Park. It’s his second highest average among any MLB park he’s played at with a minimum of 10 games played.
- Jose Reyes will play the Marlins for the second time (first time in Miami) since being traded away back in November of 2012. He originally signed a six-year $106 million deal back in December of 2011 with the Marlins that he is currently still playing under.
- Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton has turned into a bonafide Mets killer with 26 HR’s and 58 RBI’s in 83 career games against the Mets.
- The Mets will face Marlins ace Jose Fernandez on Saturday night, who has notoriously stymied them. Fernandez holds a 2-0 record in five career starts with a 1.32 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 34 innings.
- Marlins outfielder Ichiro Suzuki as of today is just four hits shy of the 3,000 hit milestone.
- The pitching matchups for this weekend are provided below:
- Friday: RHP Logan Verrett (3-6, 4.21) vs. LHP Adam Conley (6-5, 3.61)
- Saturday: RHP Jacob deGrom (6-4, 2.38) vs. RHP Jose Fernandez (11-4, 2.53)
- Sunday: LHP Steven Matz (7-6, 3.56) vs. RHP Jose Urena (1-1, 7.52)