The Miami Marlins (3-3) defeated the New York Mets (2-5) this evening by the final score of 2-1. For a full boxscore recap follow the link below…
- Noah Syndergaard was absolutely dominant tonight pitching 7 innings and striking out 12. He only allowed 1 run on 7 hits with 1 walk.
- Lucas Duda drove in the Mets only run tonight with an RBI single in the bottom of the 1st.
- Curtis Granderson was 1-3 with a double and a run scored. He also struck out twice. Granderson is hitting a paltry .074 thus far.
- Jim Henderson was charged with the Marlins go-ahead run in the top of the 8th. Jerry Blevins relieved Henderson after he loaded the bases, and Martin Prado drove in the game deciding run on a sacrifice fly off Blevins.
- The Mets left 7 on-base tonight and were 1 for 5 with runners in scoring position.
- Noah Syndergaard’s 21 K’s are tied for most through 2 outings to start a season. He is tied with Pedro Martinez and Dwight Gooden.
- Rafael Montero was activated immediately after the game and Eric Campbell was demoted to AAA according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
It was more of the same story tonight as it has been over the past four nights with the Mets, as the bats again fell silent. Granted the Mets were facing one of the best pitchers in baseball, in Jose Fernandez but they had him on the ropes early on in the game. However the Mets could not convert those opportunities into runs, as they only scored one off of him tonight. Noah Syndergaard was absolutely filthy tonight as he carved through the Marlins lineup tonight with ease. It’s a shame that Syndergaard did not get the win but I’m expecting he’ll have a few more performances like tonight’s later on this season. The Mets have a quick turnaround with a game tomorrow afternoon so hopefully the players aren’t too down on themselves, and they can salvage at least one game of this series and avoid the sweep.
- The Mets will look to avoid a sweep as they play the Marlins in the series finale tomorrow afternoon with first pitch scheduled for 1:10 pm et. The game can be seen on SNY and MLB Network.
- Logan Verrett (0-0, 9.00 ERA) will get the nod tomorrow afternoon in place of Jacob deGrom for the Mets. Verrett will oppose Marlins lefty Adam Conley (0-0, 27.00 ERA). Conley is the first southpaw the Mets will have faced this season.