The Miami Marlins defeated the New York Mets by the final score of 2-1 this afternoon at Tradition Field. For a full box score recap follow the link below…
- Jacob deGrom fired 4 scoreless innings this afternoon, allowing four hits, one walk, and five strikeouts.
- Jeurys Familia pitched 1 inning of relief allowing two hits, no runs, and one strikeout.
- Michael Conforto was 1-3 with a double.
- Juan Lagares was 1-1 with a run scored.
- David Wright was 0-3 with a strikeout, and played 5 innings at third base.
- Addison Reed had a rough inning of work allowing 3 hits and 2 earned runs. He also had a strikeout.
There seems to be some concern from people regarding DeGrom’s velocity this spring, as he is hovering between the 91-93 mph range, instead of his normal 94-96 mph range. DeGrom claims he feels fine and he was also pitching on short rest which could’ve been a contributing factor. His ERA is sitting pretty at 0.90 and he is still getting people out on a regular basis despite a couple ticks below his normal velocity. I’m optimistic his velocity will return to its normal average during the regular season, and even if it doesn’t, he has proven he still can get hitters out without the velocity he normally brings.
- The Mets begin a 3-game swing on the west coast of Florida tomorrow, starting with a contest against the New York Yankees in Tampa. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 pm et. and the game will not be televised, but can be heard on WOR 710 AM.
- Southpaw Steven Matz will take the hill for the Mets and is scheduled to face promising Yankees right-hander Luis Severino.