Final: Mets 11 – Marlins 0
The Mets defeated the Marlins by the final score of 11-0 at Roger Dean Stadium this afternoon. For a complete box score recap follow the link below…
- The Mets had 15 total hits this afternoon, while the Marlins only had 3.
- Matt Harvey had a strong start, going 4 innings, while only allowing 1 hit and 4 strikeouts.
- Jeurys Familia pitched a perfect frame with 2 K’s.
- Ruben Tejada had himself a game going 2-3 with 3 RBI, and a run scored.
- Yoenis Cespedes was 1-3 with an RBI single
- Johnny Monell was 1-1 with 2 RBI
- Travis Taijeron was 1-1 with 2 RBI. He is hitting .421 and has 10 RBI’s this spring.
- Dilson Herrera left today’s contest early after fouling a ball of his left knee in the 9th.
The New York Mets plain and simple came to play today. Everyone on the roster looked to be in midseason form, and it was all the more impressive that they did this against the Marlins Opening Day regulars. Matt Harvey was absolutely dominant and as I’ve said before, I believe this is going to be his best season in his career thus far. Familia, Blevins, and Bastardo pitched 3 innings of shutout ball, not even allowing a hit against them. Familia is going to have a big year, if the relievers in front of him can bridge the gap. Last year that was an issue, and I believe the Mets have built a stronger bullpen around Familia this season. Ruben Tejada just continues to rake since Asdrubal Cabrera went down, and his storyline is going to be an interesting one to follow for the rest of the spring. Johnny Monell who is being discussed as the potential backup catcher for the Mets, had a nice day at the plate, as he had a 2-run RBI double in the top of the 7th. Dilson Herrera is scheduled to leave for the WBC qualifiers Monday, so the injury he suffered will be something to keep an eye on.
- The Mets will travel to Lakeland tomorrow to face the Detroit Tigers. First pitch is slated for 1:05 pm et, and will not be televised but can be heard on WOR 710 AM.
- Jacob deGrom will make his second start of the spring against Tigers southpaw Daniel Norris.