The Mets fell to the Washington Nationals this afternoon by the final score of 9-5 in Viera. For a full box score recap follow the link below…
- Steven Matz pitching on short rest had a line of 2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, and 1 K. He also committed a throwing error in the bottom of the 2nd, trying to start a double play.
- Juan Lagares was 1-3 with an RBI.
- Alejandro De Aza was 1-3, bumping his average up to .438 this spring.
- Travis Taijeron was 0-1 but added his 8th RBI of the spring on a sacrifice fly in the top of the 9th.
- Logan Verrett (pictured) pitched 2 shutout innings, allowing 2 hits and throwing 2 strikeouts.
- Antonio Bastardo had another rough outing, allowing all three of Steven Matz inherited runners to score in the bottom of the third.
Steven Matz had a solid two innings pitched to start the game against the Nationals. Matz got into trouble in the bottom of the third by allowing two straight walks, and a misplayed ball by Alejandro De Aza, loaded the bases. Antonio Bastardo proceeded to cough up the 3 runners Matz had stranded by allowing two base hits. Bastardo is not having the best start to the spring thus far. Matz on the other hand looked solid today despite pitching on short rest, and he was pulled in the bottom of the third as his pitch count was rising with 41 pitches. 27 of those pitches however were thrown for strikes.
- The Mets play host to the St. Louis Cardinals tomorrow afternoon at Tradition Field with a 1:10 pm et start time. The game can be seen on WPIX or MLB.tv.
- Bartolo Colon is expected to start against Cardinals lefty Tyler Lyons.
- Also expected to pitch for the Mets include, LHP Josh Smoker, RHP Jeurys Familia, RHP Gabriel Ynoa.