The Mets defeated the Atlanta Braves this afternoon by the final score of 7-5. For a full box score recap follow the link below…
- Game Notes:
- Alejandro De Aza had a productive day at the plate going 2-3 with a double, an RBI single, and a run scored. De Aza is hitting a blistering .429 this spring.
- Yoenis Cespedes, Neil Walker, Michael Conforto, and Lucas Duda each had a hit this afternoon.
- Travis Taijeron got the start in right field and went 2-4, with 2 RBI’S. He is hitting a robust .444 this spring so far.
- Sean Gilmartin pitched 3 solid innings of no run ball, allowing 4 hits and 2 strikeouts.
- Chase Bradford left too many pitches over the plate this afternoon allowing 6 hits on 4 ER, in an inning of work.
- Jim Henderson pitched a scoreless inning in relief with a 3 pitch strikeout.
- Addison Reed closed the game out with a perfect 9th.
Observing today’s game there were a few things that had stood out to me. With rumors swirling that Kevin Plawecki may begin the year in AAA due to playing time concerns, Johnny Monell has a chance to grab a job out of spring training. He made some impressive throws from behind the plate this afternoon throwing one runner out and being a missed tag away from throwing another one out. Too soon to speculate on the catching situation but with rumors in the air regarding Plawecki, Monell had a good game defensively. I was also impressed with the throws Matt Reynolds was making from the shortstop position. He is showing the coaching staff he can get it done with his glove, and if he can show some offense this spring Ruben Tejada may become expandable as rumors are starting to surround him as well. Jim Henderson also had a great 1-2-3 inning today and his fastball looks to be slowly coming back to life for him. I am very interested to see how the rest of his spring progresses as he is vying for a bullpen spot.
- The Mets host the Detroit Tigers at 1:10 pm et at Tradition Field. Bartolo Colon will make his spring debut opposite former Met Mike Pelfrey. That game will be broadcast on SNY, MLB Network, and MLB.tv. Other pitcher availability for the Mets is not known at this time.
- The Mets will send a squad to Jupiter, Florida to face the St. Louis Cardnials at 1:05 pm et. Rookie of the Year frontrunner Steven Matz will make his spring debut opposite Adam Wainwright. The game will be available on MLB.tv and WOR 710 AM. RHP Akeel Morris, RHP Hansel Robles, RHP Paul Sewald, RHP Logan Verrett, RHP Jeff Walters, and RHP Gabriel Ynoa are scheduled to take the mound following Matz.