The Mets and Marlins played to a 4-4 tie in their first game of the spring at Tradition Field this afternoon. For a complete boxscore recap click the link below…
- Game Notes:
- Mets prospect Dilson Herrera had an exciting inside-the-park home run in the 9th inning which tied the game up at 4. He was 2-2 at the plate today including that home run.
- Logan Verrett pitched 2 innings of 2-run ball with his lone mistake coming off of the bat of left fielder Destin Hood in the 2nd inning.
- Juan Lagares went 1-2 today but looks incredibly comfortable at the plate and in the field already. Lagares may be the x-factor for this club this season.
- Neil Walker collected his first hit in a Met uniform, with a 1-2 effort this afternoon.
- There were a couple of errors made by the starters this afternoon, by Lucas Duda and Asdrubal Cabrera. Not much to read into considering it was each their first game of the season.
- The Mets travel to Kissimmee tomorrow to take on the Houston Astros. Mets prospect pitcher Robert Gsellman is slated to take the mound against former Met pitcher Collin McHugh. You can catch the game on MLB.TV with a 1:05 pm et start time.
RHP Seth Lugo, LHP Josh Smoker, RHP Hansel Robles, and RHP Antonio Bastardo are scheduled to pitch tomorrow afternoon.
Mets fans are already in midseason form as they gave Yoenis Cespedes a standing ovation in his first at-bat, and were overly exuberant during Wilmer Flores lone pinch-hit appearance chanting his name loud and proud. The fans were also really loud screaming, “Let’s Go Mets,” when the Mets had loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the 5th. You get a great sense of excitement surrounding everyone involved with this team including SNY announcers Gary Cohen, Ron Darling, and Keith Hernandez. It will be quite a sight to see next week when the flamethrowers are slated to take the mound…